While in Florida a lawyer is not required to create a valid deed like a ladybird deed or Florida Enhanced Life Estate Deed it may be a good idea to have a lawyer or attorney review these specific document because of their propensity for errors and the bad or unexpected outcome that would occur with an invalid or incorrect Florida Enhanced Life Estate Deed.
1. A lawyer can check to make sure that the deeds are executed with the formality required under Florida Statutes.
2. That an Florida Enhanced Life Estate Deed is the best method of accomplishing your goals. With property with larger mortgages, a deed of this type may not be the best or most affordable method for transferring the property upon the death of the owners because of the mortgage taxes in Florida.
3. In addition, some of the forms and Florida Enhanced Life Estate Deeds that I have seen do not properly deal with the property upon death and title companies have been known to require a probate before they will issue a new title policy. This can cost the family thousands of dollars on a homestead and up to 3 percent of the value of the home on non-homestead properties.
4. Prevent a portion of the property from lapsing, Florida’s anti-lapse statute deals with devises by will and in trusts but would not protect an interest in a property that was given to an individual who predeceased the grantor of the deed. Because a Florida Enhanced Life Estate Deed is a contingent gift, it is possible that the remainder interest would be directed back to the estate of the grantor in a case were the contingent remainder beneficiary of the deed was to predecease the grantor.
5. The most important reason to use a lawyer with a Florida Enhanced Life Estate Deed deals with the circumstances surrounding the use of this type of deed. Often when a lawyer prepares these deeds they the process will cause them to evaluate the other financial, estate planning, elder law, and Medicaid planning that are found when these deeds are used. Paying a lawyer who is familiar with these issues to prepare your deed is a good way to have your personal circumstances and issues evaluated at the same time.